Street Cleaning is scheduled during Pride Week. Please be sure to move all vehicles from the North and East sides of streets on Thu, Sep 17, and from the South and West sides on Fri, Sep 18.
Our neighborhoods are the soul of our City, and we expect them
to be safe, clean, and free of blight.
Mark your calendars: Neighborhood Pride week is just around the corner. A whirlwind week of community-building and engagement, this a huge opportunity to make the most of City of Columbus resources and demonstrate your love for Weinland Park.
2015 Neighborhood Pride Schedule of Events
2015 Neighborhood Pride Programming
City of Columbus Neighborhood Pride web site
It all happens at the Neighborhood Pride Service Center:
Monday – Friday, 9:30am – 4:30pm
The unique vision of Mayor Coleman, this generous initiative culminates next week with fun and empowering daily events showcasing our inspirational community to greater Columbus. The City will create a number of spaces to encourage community-gathering and listen to our visions for WP. This is a special opportunity to share your love for your hometown, emphasize important ways the City can support us, and connect with the specific representatives who are responsible for resolving ongoing concerns.
- FREE Breakfast Every Day! Served at 9:30am.
- Enriching Activities and Information Throughout the Day! City services and Pride partners share ways to make your neighborhood a better place to live, work and raise a family. Meet your Neighborhood Liaison, Code Enforcement Officers, and representatives from Columbus Public Health as well as other departments.
- CBUS, Columbus’s Mobile City Hall, On-Site All Day Long! Come on down any time for help filing 311 complaints, applying for jobs with the City, and more…
- “Home Safe and Sound” Applications Accepted Throughout the Week â€“ Managers of the Cityâ€™s Home Repair Program will be on site at various times to answer questions. Grants up to $20,000 for use toward home repairs are available to eligible homeowners, depending on household income and other underwriting criteria. No initial payment, application fee, or deposit is required for services provided through this program. Financing terms are contingent upon availability of funds. Call the Home Safe and Sound Intake Line at (614) 645-8526 for an application. Submissions will be accepted starting Mon, Sep 14.
Is your home safe and well-maintained?
Take the Neighborhood Pride Homeowner’s Quiz to find out.
- FREE “Lunch and Learns” Monday – Thursday! Join us daily at noon to learn about City programs while eating a free lunch donated by area businesses. Presenters will include 311, Community Relations Commission and Columbus Public Health.
- Neighborhood Safety Academy on Tuesday! Targeted to both children and adults, pick up basic, easy-to-use tips for making your homes, families, and neighborhoods safer. Taught by the Columbus Division of Police, Columbus Division of Fire, and other City Departments. Starts at 6:00pm. FREE dinner will be served to participants.
- Wellness Wednesday! Between 10am and 2pm, take advantage of free health screenings from Columbus Public Health, cooking demonstrations, health-related games, and other activities. FREE healthy lunch with a nutritionist at noon.
- Bike Ride with the Mayor on Wednesday! Our biking Mayor and his staff will join families in our community on a 3-mile ride through the streets of WP. Bring your bike and a helmet, if you have one! Meet us at 6:00pm.
- MayorÂ Coleman’s Community Night on Thursday!Â All residents, businesses, and community leaders are encouraged to attend this town-hall meeting where you can talk with the Mayor, Department Directors, and other representatives of City departments. Get to know your Neighborhood Liaison, Community Liaison Police Officer and your Neighborhood Civic Leaders. Doors open at 5:30pm with a FREE dinner served at 6:00pm!
Beautiful Home Awards Recipients Announced Thursday!
10 neighbors will be nominated by the community to receive the Beautiful Home Award. Winners will be announced at the Mayorâ€™s Community Night on Thursday. (more info)
- Community Cookout During Lunch on Friday! All are invited for a festive end to Neighborhood Pride. The City will provide FREE food for the grill and beverages.Â Please bring a side dish to share with your neighbors! From 12:00 â€“ 1:30pm.
And don’t forget the Talent Show spotlighting selected middle-school students during the
Pride Holiday Party on December 16th at the King Arts Complex.
Auditions will be held in the fall at Dominion Middle School. (more info)
While we’re celebrating, the City will be hard at work.
Every department (including, but not limited to, Recreation and Parks, Code Enforcement, Transportation, and Public Services) undertakes intensive efforts to systematically address service-needs, such as:
- Filling potholes
- Cleaning our alleys and streets
- Tending to our parks
- Repairing street lights
- Targeting safety and health hazards
- Identifying code problems
- Assisting families in addressing home ownership and property needs
- Helping residents tap into supportive services, for example AEP’s FREE energy-saving programs
Preparations for Pride have been underway all summer:
- Organizing a bike safety fair and distributing bike helmets to WP Elementary students in May
- Hosting a bus tour to identify issues in need of attention
- Engaging locally-based businesses to act as Pride partners
- Replacing dumpsters and trash cans
- Appearing at Civic and Milo-Grogan Commission meetings
- Regularly engaging community leaders for input
Since 2000, Pride has served 89 communities in Columbus. This year, Weinland Park was selected for a second time, in partnership with Milo-Grogan, thanks to the efforts of our Civic and President Brandyn McElroy. In 2007, then-President, Joyce Hughes, lead the charge on the west side of our neighborhood. The east side of WP will be the main focus this year.